avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] containerkit
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:10:16 GMT

> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@osm.net]
>
> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
> >It would appear that context values entered as you describe
> are limited
> >to:
> >
> > + constants
> >
> > + entered by a human
> >
> >Is this correct?
> >

> Umm, lets say that I don't agree with te question! :-)
> If when you say "entered by a human" you mean that the critea for
> context creation and the criteria for creation of context
> values must be
> presented in a declarative manner - e.g. in an application
> profile - I
> would say YES - IF, and only if the developer is writting a component
> that is intended to be portable.

But then, for all portable components you are blurring the line between
a Context and a Configuration, and then I do not see the need to declare
a context requirement in the xinfo at all:

 + If the component is portable, there's really no difference between
   Context and Configuration, so no portable component implements
Contextualizable.

 + If the component isn't portable, then requirement 1 is simply
   "use this container" and no further requirements are needed.

/LS