avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert" <rmcint...@bull-enterprises.com>
Subject RE: DAO and JDO
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 18:51:34 GMT
If you are not tied to a JDO implementation, eQ!
(www.browsersoft.com/eQ) has a very flexible, declarative persistence
layer and it is not tied to an RDBMS datastore. Instead of using
programmatic access like JDO and Torque (which is a really good
persistence layer pulled out of Turbine) it uses a declarative approach.
The link above doesn't have all the full technical details, but you can
find most of those at:

http://65.28.47.110/eQ/technical/techintro.jsp (a work in progress).

Oh, and eQ! is built on top of Avalon :-)

You can contact me directly if you like for more info at
Robert@browsersoft.com
- Robert McIntosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Wallace [mailto:rwallace@a--i--m.com]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 6:19 PM
To: avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: DAO and JDO

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering what the feeling towards the JDO spec is.  I need
some way of persisting objects.  I've looked at torque, but it only
deals with JDBC and I need something that will interface well with JNDI
as well.  I was considering using a JDO implementation, but lo and
behold I can't find an open source one.  So, I was considering writing
one using Avalon and Excalibur.

Before I start working on that, though, I thought I'd ask everyones
opinion and see if anyone has a better idea for object persistence.  I'd
be willing to use something like simplestore, except from what I've seen
it doesn't allow for searching, just retrieval based on a key.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Anyone willing to help if I do go through with a JDO
implementation?

Thanks.
--
Richard Wallace