avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [Avalon Packages -> Commons] We want to move packages to Commons: can you help? [Commons-Avalon]
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:28:13 GMT

To provide an initial set of suggestions for people to haggle over:

Obviously io/collections map nicely over to their respective partners at
Commons.

1)
Zip, tar and bzip2 seem like potential packages of one project. Codec? Or
a new one named Compress or some such? I notice the tar stuff is from Tim
Endres. Is this now the definitive version of his work and the ice.com
stuff at gjt.org is just an oldie, or has it been forked?

2)
Thread stuff. Any reason not to merge these into a subproject called
thread? I can understand not putting them in Lang. Doesn't make sense to
fatten that up with stuff just because Thread is in java.lang.

3)
Cli. Peter Donald's cli is quoted as one of the sources of Commons.Cli.
I guess Peter/Bob/John would need to discuss whether Commons.Cli fully
replaces Exc.Cli yet.

4)
Util. i18N.
These both look to include nice juicy bits that will each need
consideration for movement elsewhere.

5) Baxter. Naming.
??

Just ideas, but shoot em down.