avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Mouat <rob...@mouat.net>
Subject RE: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:56:23 GMT
Robert Mouat wrote:

> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> > we all agree.
>
> ok, I got a bit paranoid that metadata was going to replace the job of the
> assembler.

re-reading some of the recent emails - I think I get it now - the
difference is between blocks and components:

  - a block is a component with metadata.

  - when lookup(roleName) is called:

    - if the client comes with no metadata specifying the meaning of the
    roleName, then the component/block returned is the one specified by
    the assembler.

    - if the client has metadata that specifies the meaning of the
    roleName then the container compares this with the metadata for the
    blocks and returns one that matches.  [aside: I assume that the
    assembler can overide this]

is this correct?

sorry for taking up so much bandwidth trying to figure this out.

Robert.