avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Mouat <rob...@mouat.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] custom component lookup
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:54:35 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> At 02:28 PM 6/20/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >here is a proposal that will allow us to:
> >
> >   - have a well defined relationship between the container and
> >   component managers [though it doesn't touch on the issue of
> >   component resolving]
> >
> >     + you could write component managers that will work in any
> >     container - and be specified at assembly time.
> >
> >     + these new component managers will work alongside the existing
> >     component managers (allowing for a gentle upgrade path).
> >
> >   - create dynamic proxies, for example:
> >
> >     + tracing of component level method calls.
> >
> >     + aaa (authentication, authorisation, and accounting), an aaa
> >     proxy could intercept component level method calls.
> >
> >     + release() via the VM's garbage collector.
> >
> >     + sessions could be implemented this way (with only slight
> >     modifications from my recent email).
> >
> >   - possibly satisfy some of the need for custom markers (as long as
> >   they are called after initialize). [sessions would probably fit this
> >   category]
> >
> >   - chain together any of the above (at the whim of the assembler).
>
> These are neat features and some containers already implement them. However
> I don't see any need for them to be associated with lookup mechanism.

ok, I actually forgot to put in a sentence/disclaimer at the end
mentioning that it might possibly be more of an implementation thing than
a framework thing...

but I also was wondering if there is any container extension mechanism
that is shared by the Avalon containers - or if there are plans for
anything like that?

Robert.