avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McKibben <m...@hihat.net>
Subject RE: [proposal] custom component lookup
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:50:55 GMT
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Berin Loritsch wrote:
[snip]

> The closer we get to JNDI, the more I will push using JNDI.
> Peter and I have both done implementations of JNDI lookup,
> and it is not that fun.  However, it would make us more
> aligned with J2EE principles.
>
> As has been pointed out a long time ago, we want to be able
> to define a container that works in a constrained environment.
> That is one of the principle reasons JNDI was ruled out.

Right, I didn't mean to imply to replace the existing framework with
JNDI-- just to take a look at the approach it takes to solving the problem
of what object to return from a lookup(). The interesting thing is that
the object you bind in JNDI does not necessarily equal the object returned
from a lookup(), which is what was being proposed by the CustomLookup
interface.

Regards,

--mike