avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Mouat <rob...@mouat.net>
Subject Re: [A5] Logger Package
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:39:19 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> 2) If we maintain our own, what about a "TRACE" logging level.  It is useful
>    debugging information that is not necessary for all debugging excercises.
>    Some bugs are only found by tracing through, so a message when entering
>    a method or exiting a method can be helpful.  Esp. if your Java debugger
>    is effectively broken (happens more often than I care to mention).

this could perhaps be done by the container+ComponentManager...

a dynamic proxy could be created that logged all component method calls.
This has several advantages:

 - no need to write lots of trace("Entering someMethod()"); calls.
 - you can add tracing to compiled code.
 - you can send the log messages to a different logger without adding the
   extra logging level
 - no need to write lots of trace("Leaving someMethod()"); calls.

possible disadvantages:

 - only traces calls at the component level, wont trace calls within the
   component.
 - only works if the container supports it.

Robert.