avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Kurt Schrader <kschra...@karmalab.org>
Subject Re: Avalon and Turbine
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:42:05 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Well, Cocoon is made to run on anything, given that the proper Environment
> classes are coded.
> Currently it sits on top of a servlet, but it's more of a hack that comes
> out of necessity.
> We use nothing of the servlet stuff, and the classloading tomcat does always
> gives us headaches.
>
> Cocoon should really be a Phoenix server application, on the same level of
> James, Tomcat, Turbine, etc...
>
> Since Avalon framework and Excalibur are basically Avalon-commons, they are
> used at all levels: in phoenix, in server apps, in block, in classes, etc.
>
> This means that Turbine would sit on phoenix (and have a standard way of
> using services), while keeping the ability of defining it's own components.
> Phoenix would give Turbine all the services for free, and add admin
> capability (in the works), that would be consistent across all Phoenix apps.

While all of this sounds very nice, I know that myself and a number of
other Turbine developers have a need to continue using Turbine as a
standard servlet packed inside of a .war that we can drop into a servlet
container.  As far as I can tell from this discussion so far, using
Phoenix would no longer allow this to happen, or at least not in an
elegant manner.  Am I just off base here?  Can Phoenix be bootstrapped
from a servlet and be run that way?

-Kurt