avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: Fresh Perspective
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:35:14 GMT
Hi,

<having-fun>

I must say I am enjoying a lot the discussion these last days, even
when I am keeping my big mouth shut.

And keeping my mouth shut is so easy when someone else asks the
questions for me. =;o) With many of the ideas of my work being based
on Cocoon, Berin, Stefano and Ken end up having the same doubts and
posting better questions than I would be able to.

</having-fun>

Leo's post is over a subject that interests me a lot.

However, I am afraid that a very flexible general selection mechanism
would become so complex that it would be easier (cheaper) to use Java
or script to define complex selections than to learn/manage such
mechanism.

It is a bit like some "declarative" (often XML-ized) syntaxes that
turn into mini-programming languages that one has to learn in addition
to (in our case) Java, don't have its power and often need much more
coding to get to the same result. (Struts, XSLT and even some Cocoon
stuff made me feel this way too.)

I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to keep such a mechanism focused on
solving the simpler cases and just leave the door open to
"programmatically" solve the more complex ones.

BUT please do not misinterpret my words: I like very much the line of
ideas that Leo is exposing here. What I am trying is to keep this line
from becoming over ambitious.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar