avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A5] Context
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:25:05 GMT
On Saturday 15 June 2002 11:29 am, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Personally I don't like contexts, they smell of "global variables" to me.

They are, but only in the context of a container :)

> Aren't ComponentManagers(nowLocators) doing a similar thing (ie giving a
> class based on a name-role)?

Not exactly. For some examples, in Phoenix a block is actually passed an
instance of a BlockContext, from which a block can determine base directory
that the block is running in as well as its configured name. It is my
understanding that the Context was designed for the passage of runtime
information from the container to components.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org