avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints'
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:03:51 GMT
At 11:45 AM 6/23/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>
> > According to your own analysis there is no distinction except for metadata.
>
>Please, define 'component metadata' before I can answer your question.

In abstract terms, data associated with a component type that declares
* what component requires to work
* what component offers other components
* the environment in which component executes (though strictly speaking
this is not needed).

In physical terms it means declaring the components that the component
depends upon or exports and also declaring its lifecycle style and possibly
other container specific things.

 > Leo (A Cocoon developer) saids a killer feature would be to change cocoon
> > to not be directly referentiable.
>
>Stefano (another Cocoon developer) asks how this is possible if the
>direct referencing of components is hardcoded into the sitemap
>semantics.

He assumes that the all components are indirectly referencing other
components, it just happens that the components are directly mapped into
local namespace unless otherwise indicated.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith