avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Make your stand now - Is Avalon for more than ReUse ?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:47:42 GMT
At 02:46 PM 6/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Submitted this question within <flamebait/> earlier, but it got ignored.
>It needs to be answered.
>
>Is Avalon for ANY other purpose than *Component Re-Use* or not? That is
>certainly my only interest. It is arguably what attracts most people to
>it? True or false?

My main draw card for me is that it gives me a ready-made template for
application. However the template does not enforce any domain specific
constraints or structure. Thus I can rapidly prototype applications and
know I will be able to evolve them in the future with relative ease. So
what I like is the quick initial implementation and the ability to scale up
with minimal pain.

Reuse would be fantastic. There are large chunks of cocoon I would love to
reuse in myrmidon but I can't as they are littered with Cocoon specific
assumptions.

The main motivation for containerKit/metainfo stuff is that I will be able
to cleanly reuse these things without effecting cocoons current usage.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith