avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating bytecode vs. generating java + compile
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:36:43 GMT
At 06:19 PM 6/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>     Peter> If there's one thing I learned from cocoon, its that
>     Peter> dynamic java code generation and subsequent compilation by
>     Peter> invoking javac sucks.
>
>A deviation from the original topic: how much more difficult is it to
>generate bytecode using BCEL?

depends on how complex the code is. If it is just "wiring" one component to
another component then it is doable. As soon as you start putting any
complex logic into the generated code it starts to become a nightmare.

Another problem I had in the past is that sometimes some JVMs will accept
bytecode that is not valid. Later JVMs would then reject the invalid
bytecode and it can take a while to debug and figure it all out. Once it
took me a week to figure out why something failed on one hardware/jvm
combination but worked fine everywhere else.

So if it is just glue code then it can work but anything else and you are
just reimplementing a compiler poorly ;)

Then again I don't think the constraint language is a go if it requires
code generation ;) Someone just sent me the link and grunted is good -
hadn't looked at it just yet ;P

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."