avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:35:30 GMT
At 11:24 AM 6/17/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>note: renamed exists() to contains() to follow java.util convention

should be hasComponent(String) as that already exists in A4 ComponentManager.

>while some of us may feel that the use of hints is a bad idea, making an
>allowance for them will ease upgrade from A4 to A5.

If roles exist in A5 there will not be any A5. Theres no point in
"upgrading" to another version of framework if it forces developers to
scatter metainfo about in code and outside code.

>Similarly, while
>some of us may feel that a component should not find out about its
>environment through the ComponentManager interface, a contains() method
>is trivial to implement and does no big conceptual harm.

No one seems to notice when I say this is already possible and has been for
a very very very very long time.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."