avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:16:12 GMT
At 03:07 AM 6/14/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>array of services, dependencies, local versus remote, etc.). But Phoenix
>is too hard for the sort of customer who want's what I have. I would end
>up doing site visits to fix their systems with minor errors in
>assembly.xml or config.xml. That means time and effort from both me, my
>team, and my customer. My preoccupation is that a large degree of this is
>redundant - the errors are actually introduced by the user because the
>platform is forcing the user to declare too much. The anti-

Oh - now I get what you mean. You don't like having to use classname in
assembly.xml !

With that I actually agree. If you look at ECM, Fortress, Myrmidon they
also agree - it is only phoenix that forces you to use the long name ;)

In ECM and friends we have the notion of a RoleManager (and also a
TypeManager in myrmidon). Basically this maps the classname to a shortname.
Then assemblers then use the shortname rather than long-name.

In myrmidon we have just decided to automagically manage shortnames aswell
via overidable auotmapping system. ie org.apache.antlibs.core.IfTask maps
to "if" in "task" type. org.apache.antlibs.core.StringToFileConverter maps
to "string-to-file" in "converter" type etc.

Similar things happen in cocoon land.

We could even attempt to do this in Phoenix. ie suck the
shortname->classname mappings from block jars prior to processing
assembly.xml. If version="1.1" on assembly.xml then we use shortnames else
we use the system we have now.

>Which falls back to the interface != service scenario.
>The role name that Merlin deals with (and Phonix) is linked to a service
>which is interface and version. If the recommendation was clear and
>precision about the defintion of a service interface (via a static
>declaration) then I'm starting to move to your position.

Not sure what I have to do to convince you? Isn't that we already do?