avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:03:52 GMT
At 09:08 AM 6/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>One point to consider.  How many projects do you desire to use your
>components with?

Right. If you choose to break the pattern in use in the rest of avalon
(which Stephens stuff does) then you are guarenteed that it will only work
in phoenix and merlin atm (as they are the only ones that allow remapping
of dependencies). ECM/Fortress/Myrmidon all map to classname directly (no
ifs no buts) and Phoenix/Merlin encourages mapping to classname.

The reason Stephen wants to use arbitrary strings is because he chooses to
make the names meaningful and store metadata (he reuses the role name as
name of logger, name of component etc). Personally I would encourage him to
instead store it in attributes of dependency rather than in rolename/role
designator.

BTW I agree using shortnames sucks imensly as I just went through suffering
as it had been done in myrmidon for some components and not in others. Erk