avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Avalon 5.0 directory
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:04:59 GMT
At 08:48 AM 6/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>ConnectionManager ssl = (ConnectionManager)
>         m_manager.lookup(ConnectionManager.ROLE + "/SSL");
>
>and this:
>
>ConnectionManager ssl = (ConnectionManager)
>         m_manager.lookup(ConnectionManager.ROLE, "SSL");

Loss of clarity and added complexity.

2 extra methods that are uneeded except by Cocoon.

Lack of clarity as you have just demonstrated. If a web server asks for an
SSL connectionManager it MUST be SSL enabled however you have described
hints as ... well hints (ie not defintiion declarations but helpful
pointers to container as to kind of provider needed).  From a later bit in
your mail...

>A hint is not a hard and fast contract.

Here you demonstrate why you should not be using hints in your example.

Re: LDAP, NDIS
 > They have notions of directories and subdirectories which we
>don't.

No they don't necessarily. And there is nothing stopping Avalons current CM
having notion of directories (I have actually implemented them as
directories/sub-directories). Where Avalons differ is that we don't allow
listing of entrys.

>I am sticking to my guns on this one.  It is semantically
>cleaner to enforce ROLE matching, with an option for hints.

This remonds me a lot of the ComponentSelector discussion and the "add a
release() method" discussion. You were certain they were the correct way to
go at the time and said much the same thing when challenged wrt to CS.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith