avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ComponentVerifier exceptions
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 06:28:22 GMT
At 08:17 AM 6/8/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>The current implementation of ComponentVerifier does not make a
>distinction between a verification error and a verification warning.  I
>think we should consider the addition of a VerifyWarning as a type of
>exeception that can be thrown during verification  that indicates bad
>practice.
>
>For example, a component implementing both Composable and Serviceable is
>inconsitent but computationally possible.  Such a condition could throw a
>VerificationWarning as opposed to the current VerifyException (the same
>case applies for the mixing of Parameterizable and Configurable) thrown by
>the verifyLifecycle method.
>
>VerifyWarning candidates include:
>
>  verifyPublic
>  verifyLifecycles
>  verifyServiceIsaInterface
>  verifyServiceNotALifecycle

If there is a such a thing as a warning it should result in error message
but the rest of verification process should continue or else later stages
in container managing will fail. So I think if a container wishes for
certain things to be warnings then they should subclass the verifier to
perform their container specific validations.

The other alternative would be to create a VerifyEvent + VerifyListener but
I played with that for a while and the added complexity was not justified
given the added complexity it would introduce.