avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject RE: ContainerManager and Sub-containers
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:27:22 GMT
At 10:06 AM 6/6/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>As for the directory-should-not-do-pooling: If I put a DataSource in the
>directory, I do:
>
>     Connection conn = ((DataSource) manager.lookup
>(DataSource.ROLE)).getConnection ();
>
>Now since I'll always want the connection, why not just give me the
>connection
>right away?
>
>     Connection conn = (Connection) manager.lookup (Connection.ROLE);

Lets see - I can think of two reasons ;)

* Your cease to separate directory and resource management code and thus
you end up with a ugly "release()" method on your directory interface
(despite the fact that only a handful of people ever use it).
* You get people who complain that ServiceManager not fast enough and then
want the rest of us to add in extra ugly code so they can continue to
misuse the interface