avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: organisation of avalon subprojects
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:28:53 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:23, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>But I'll present my case anyway.
>>

>...snip...

...unsnip....

 <component-info>
   <context type="MyContextInterface">
       <entry key="base" type="java.io.File"/>
   </context>
 </component-info>

>As you point out - it is a Merlin specific issue - no other containers have
>this "need". As I said before it is quite easy to create a
>MerlinComponentMetaData if you want.

Correction - this is a componet portability issue.  Merlin just happends
to be the only container that addresses this issue.  Please explain how
any container is going to handle the above valid and legal context type
delcaration?  How will any container be able to support a context type
and required entry declaraton in an ContonentDescriptor derived from the
above without support for the declaration of context criteria in its
application configuraton.  Keeping in mind that the solution to this
issue has already been implememted independely of Merlin etc., is
incoporated into the Merlin type model, and has been validated across
lots of differnent applicatioin cases.

Secondly, I noticed that you neglected to expand on what you consider to
be the one and only valid criteria for the inclusion of context criteria
and look forward to (a) more details, or (b) unsnipping this question
from you next eamil. :-)

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell