avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: [RT] One Container to Rule them all
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:37:45 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

> [...]
> --------
>
> Lets assume we can come up with a central container. First thing we
> need to do is to is externalize metadata for all the components. This
> is painful to maintain so we will need to use XDoclet to annotate our
> code. These annotations would essentially state the resources that the
> component requires and the resources that the component is capable of
> providing. A fully specced out java file would look something like the
> following. Note that is is vastly more annotated than a real example
> so most files wont be this complex.
>
> /**
>  * @avalon.component name="mail-server-impl" version="1.2.4"
> lifecycle="thread-safe"
>  * @avalon.service type="org.apache.avalon.MailServer"
>  */
> public class MailServerImpl
>   implements MailServer, LogEnabled, Contextualizable, Composable
> {
>   /**
>    * @avalon.logger description="Base logger passed in is used for ...
> logging stuff"
>    * @avalon.logger name="auth"
>    *                description="Auth sub category is used to log
> authentication information"
>    */
>   public void enableLogging( Logger l )
>   {
>     m_logger = l;
>     m_authLogger = l.getChildLogger( "auth" );
>   }
>
>   /**
>    * @avalon.context type="org.apache.phoenix.api.BlockContext"
>    * @avalon.entry key="mBeanServer"
> type="javax.management.MBeanServer" optional="false"
>    */
>   public void contextualize( Context c )
>   {
>     m_blockContext = (BlockContext)c;
>     MBeanServer mbs = m_blockContext.get( "mBeanServer" );
>     doMBeanRegister( mbs );
>   }
>
>   /**
>    * @avalon.dependency
> type="org.apache.cornerstone.SomeServiceInterface"
>    * @avalon.dependency role="quirky" type="org.apache.SomeInterface"
> optional="true"
>    */
>   public void compose( ComponentManager cm )
>   {
>    m_someServiceInterface = (SomeServiceInterface)cm.lookup(
> SomeServiceInterface.ROLE );
>    if( cm.exists( "quirky" ) )
>    {
>      m_someInterface = (SomeInterface)cm.lookup( "quirky" );
>    }
>   }
> }
>
> Of course the above is massively complex but it demonstrates the
> possible annotations that could exist. The metainfo system that is
> currently under development also allows extensible set of attributes
> to be associated with various resources. So in theory if you needed
> container specific metadata you could associate it with different

As part of containerkit doc we need to put in place (a) some formal tag
documentation, and (b) the standard translation of tags in terms of
generated metainfo. If you want to put the basics in place I can start
to fill in details.

> [...]
>
> Component/Assembly Profile
> --------------------------
>
> Where MetaInfo gives information about the type of a component, the
> Profile describes information about a component in an
> Application/assembly. So it saids that Component A has a dependency on
> Component B and has configuration X. A set of Component Profiles make
> up an Assembly Profile.
>
> So usually a Profile is made up of something like
>
> Component A of Type P, uses Component B and C, and has Configuration X
> Component B of Type Q, uses Component C, and has Parameters Y
> Component C of Type R, uses no Components, and has Configuration Z
>
> The actual arrangement is partially container specific but the general
> form is common.
>
> It is the Profile that gives the container the ability to validate the
> application before instantiating it. ie You can make sure that all the
> dependencies are valid, configuration is valid according to a schema etc.
>
> So after the Profile is validated the application should startup in
> 99% of cases except when runtime errors occur.
>
> Component Entrys
> ----------------
>
> When a container is managing a component it creates an Entry per
> component. The Entry manages all the runtime information associated
> with a component. This runtime information is container specific. If
> the component is pooled then the Entry will contain a pool of
> instances. If the container tracks resources, the Entry will contain
> list of resources the component uses. If the component is accessed via
> proxies, the entry will list the proxies.
>

> The Process of Assembly
> -----------------------
>
> The process of assembly is creating an application profile via wiring
> together components.
>
> In the past some containers, such as Phoenix, went the path of
> requiring assembler to explicitly specify all the components and
> resolve all the dependencies. ie If a component has a dependency then
> the assembler must specify another component which will satisfy the
> dependency. So you have to manually assemble the application. This can
> be a bit error prone especially when you need to take into
> consideration such aspects as thread-safety, inability to have
> recursive dependencies and potentially many many many components.
>
> Other containers may auto-assemble the application. For example I
> believe Merlin does something like the following (though I may not be
> 100% accurate it is close enough). When you start an "application" you
> declare a component that is not fully resolved. Merlin then kicks in
> and tries to assemble a full Profile. For every unsatisfied dependency
> in scans the Profiles of all the Components and sees if there is any
> candidates that can satisfy dependency. If there is one candidate that
> satisfies dependency then it is used. If there is multiple candidates
> that satisfy dependency then a heuristic is employed to select one of

Correct.

> The heuristic is currently governed by a combination of things I
> believe. It has a policy attribute in MetaInfo of dependecyDescriptor
> that it can use, it also makes sure that no circular dependencies are
> created and in reality the evaluation process could include oodles
> more variables. So lets generalize it to the following interface
>
> public interface DependencyEvaluator
> {
>   int evaluate( ComponentMetaData consumer,
>                 DependencyDescriptor dependency,
>                 ComponentMetaData candidate );
> }
>
> Each candidate is passed through evaluator and a score collected. The
> candidate with highest score "wins" and is selected as provider for
> dependency. Anyways after walking the components, Merlin eventually
> builds up a full application Profile. Using this mechanism the
> assembly requires far less work by assembler as the runtime will make
> educated guesses on the best possible dependency for anything that is
> not fully specified.

This is what I'm working on at the moment.

> In reality Fortress is in a similar situation except that its mapping
> is more structured and does not currently follow metadata (as no such
> metadata exists).
>
> Handlers
> --------
>
> Each component may have what we call a different "lifestyle". ie
> Components may be single-client, singl-threaded, pooled, "singleton"
> etc. For each of these different lifestyles we are going to need a
> slightly different architecture via which to aquire the component.
>
> The component may still be passed through standard lifecycle process
> and described by standard Profile and standard MetaInfo but it will
> have a different handler. The handler will enforce the different
> lifestyle.
>
> ie If the component is sharable it will hand out the same instance to
> multiple consumers. If the component is not sharable between multiple
> consumers then it will hand out different instances to different
> consumers.
>
> The handlers is one of the main places where the containers will
> differ. Some will offer pooling and advanced resource management.
> Others will proxy access to components, maybe offering interceptors etc.

 From what I have seen so far - Phoenix, Merlin, Fortress and ECM use
some form of handler.  Currently the pooled handler support in Merlin is
disabled - planning on bring this back based on Fortress/mpool stuff -
one of the things here is really getting a grip on the Fortress
relationship needed (if any, or if I can do this based on mpool alone).

> Implementation Overview
> -----------------------
>
> So how do we go about implementing this?
>
> First of all the basic MetaInfo structure can be shared between
> containers with ease. No container should extend these classes (in
> fact they are final so they cant). Container specific attributes can
> be stored for each different feature. There is currently no standard
> for these extra attributes. Eventually it may be prudent to adopt some
> "standard" attributes but now it is mostly free form that we can use
> to experiment with stuff.

Irrespective of the "standard" attribute question - we still need to
document attributes and preferrably in one place.  Getting a list of
attributes that are used/needed and cross referenced to which
container(s) is/are using the attribute will give us a bettewr feel for
what experiments are going on and will help to ensure that we avaiod
different names for the same things.

> The Component/Application Profile classes provide a basis for all the
> Profile information. However it is possible that some containers will
> extend these classes to provide specific information relevent only to
> the particular container. However for many containers (ie Phoenix and
> Fortress) the  base Profile classes should be sufficient.

:-)
Pete - are you hinting that Merlin may want more?
In practice I think the base profile will be sufficient - the only case
I see for additional information concerning the inclusion of context
value declarations (which is only required when a component declares a
context type and context values that are required).  Without this any
component that declares a context type as required becomes compoent
specific (e.g. a component declaring a context type of BlockContext
becomes Phoenix specific if the profile does not contain context
creation criteria).

> Almost every container will have different implementations for
> ComponentEntry and the different ComponentHandlers. The implementation
> of these features effectively define how the container works.
>
> Shared Container Parts
> ----------------------
>
> There is significant overlap in the code for writing the container. So
> how do we go about sharing it all?
>
> * All containers can share the metainfo code (from containerkit)
> * All containers can share the lifecycle processing code (from
> containerkit)

One problem with the lifecycle processing code.  Currently the codebase
abstracts the processing down to startup and shutdown and a per
component basis.  In Merlin I'm using parrallel componet lifecycle
processing which means that components aquire references to each other
before initialization, and that during the start pahse, a component
knows that all of its dependent service providers have already been
initialized.  I guess all I want to do at this stage is flag the
potential for alternative lifecyle handlers.

> * Dependency traversal can be shared by all containers (from
> containerkit)

One of the things I came up with in the above parrallel processing
approach was the difference between a dependecy on a service reference
as opposed to a service usage dependecy.  Service reference dependecies
should not restrict depedecy validation - however - using the current
dependecy declaration we don't have a way of saying that the dependecy
is only on the service reference.

> * Merlin and Fortress should definetly share the "auto-assembly"
> utility classes.

Actually - the auto-assembly approach could also be used to generate an
inital/default Phonix assembly.xml file.

> * Phoenix and Merlin can share the Handler/ComponentEntry part of
> container
>
> Theres the possibility that we may be able to share some of the other
> bits but thats something we can think about later.
>
> Benefits of all this?
> ---------------------
>
> The biggest benefit of all this is that we will finally have the
> ability to write components and transparently deploy them into other
> containers with very little effort. It is likely that there will still
> be some container specific jazz in some components but we can get at
> least 90% cross container compatability.
>
> So that means Myrmidon will be able to use Cocoon services (yea!),
> Phoenix will be able to use Merlin services and all the other
> combinations.
>
> Containers will then be differentiated by their;
> * features (Pooling, auto assembly, isolation, multi-app support,
> hierarchial support)
> * resource cost (how long to startup, memory usage etc)
> * deployment format. (ie Phoenix has .sars while other containers use
> the ClassLoader they are already in).
> * assembly descriptors (ie how you specify that components are wired
> together. Compare sitemap vs the assembly.xml, config.xml,
> environment.xml format of Phoenix vs single file for myrmidon)
>
> Conclusion
> ----------
>
> It is not perfect, we have not got no grail but it is as close as we
> are going to get right now. We specify just enough that we can achieve
> 90% component portability between containers but we still leave room
> for different containers being customized for different things and
> specializing in different areas.
>
> Thoughts?

Curent development using containerkit is going smoothly and the recent
addition of a end-to-end runnable solution is a lot of help is figuring
things out.  I'm close to being able to provide an assembly profile
which I'll be interesting in plugging into a variable to the default
kernel to see what I can break.

;-)

Cheers, Steve.

--