avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:19:41 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> > This would mean (Cocoon example) that the cm would not give you a
> > Transformer or a Generator, but a service that manages them.
>
> Depends on interface of Generator. If it is a resource then yes, if it is a
> service then no. It sounds like Generator has been made a resource (really
> bad move IMHO) and thus you do need a GeneratorManager. Personally I would
> have made it a service.

I see a 'pipeline' being a service, but not its constructive components
(which are resources).

Why? the SAX event-driven architecture! when we had DOM it could have
been possible to do:

 document = generatingService.generate('file', src, objectModel);
 document = transformingService.transform('xslt', src, objectModel);
 serializeService.serialize('html',document,output);

but with a SAX architecture, you have to 'assemble' the pipeline (which
is the real service) *before* you can call the service.

This is why I think it's still the best solution to architecturally
consider pipeline 'pieces' as resources (objects) and not services
(method handlers).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.