avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Pete Carapetyan <p...@datafundamentals.com>
Subject Re: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:52:41 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:

>On Wednesday 26 June 2002 10:27 am, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>I think there is something plain confusing in all this.
>>

>"one man's component is another man's object"
>:)
>
>There are no "hard and fast" rules, its all a design decision. Making
>everything a component would be overkill (the hammer anti-pattern!). One has
>to decide the proper level of component abstraction for their own projects.

Just for the sake of argument, I would propose that you are exactly
right about the hammer analogy, but just glossing over it misses the
point, Peter.

It would seem logical that there are *exact* anti-patterns to watch for
that would prescribe the use of COP over OOP, and visa versa.

It would also seem logical that these should be the top of everyone's
list to know and rattle off. Without these, we are just messing around
with fun stuff for the sake of messing around.