avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:24:34 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:08, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Peter Donald wrote:

>>>ummm ... metadata?
>>
>>Me no understand.
>>Me need to see code. Example.
>>Please help poor programmer.
>

> It is no different from any of the other example I have given so go read the
> archives.

I looked at them again, but didn't find the answers I need.
<begging-mode>Please give me a link or some key words</begging-mode>

>>>BTW there is not a chance that I would suggest that you directly extract
>>>a resource directly from a ComponentManager. That would suck
>>>unbelievably, would never scale and lead to all sorts of design
>>>compromises. You aquire a SocketManager who does the work.
>>
>>?
>>
>>If my component is Composable, I get a ComponentManager, not a
>>SocketManager.
>>I don't want to make a SocketManager.
>>I want to use a pre-built Manager.
>

> Then your program wont scale, will be hell to maintain and suffer from pattern
> hell. Self induced aswell - you don't honestly expect me to feel sorry for
> you do you? :)

;-) hehehe

Let me see if I understand.

ComponentManager should give you course grained components.
This means that a simple lookup is always enough.
This is more easily understood if we think of Blocks or services.

This would mean (Cocoon example) that the cm would not give you a
Transformer or a Generator, but a service that manages them.

This service would have his own logic of query and selection; it's more
near to implementations and has more knowledge of how it all works.

Is this it?

Let me say anyway that I don't particularly like the fact that a
developer has to write a Manager, but I suppose that this is what
ContainerKit is for?

>>Do I have to pay you to get example in code or are you gonna enlighten
>>me for free if I whine enough?
>

> What has been wrong with any of the other code examples?

<doing action="banging head on the wall">Don't find 'em :-(</doing>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -