avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:44:24 GMT

Robert:

Thinking-out-load ...

Relative to my current thinking and work I'm currently doing related to
containerkit, what you are describing below is an application.  It's an
application because you are describing the "content" of a functional
unit.  In the example, your using a single class as the base (but this
is semi-academic).  In effect you are describing a series of type
profiles based on a single class. Each profile represents the
association of a base type with criteria concerning the deployment of
the type.  These profiles are named such that each name is unique within
the application context (which is different to role names in a component
type context).

Your client component needs to declare a dependecy on the controller
application and once that has been resolved via lookup, it then get the
service you want using the profile name as the key in the application
scope of the controller (or any other application specific method you
choose).  That operation is specific to the application at this time.
 However, there is thinking going on about how application/container
hierachies could be managed - which would potentially enable your lookup
operation to be directed to the application in which the name is scoped
- but that's pure speculation at the moment so don't ask too many
questions just yet! Like I said ... thinking-out-load.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL