avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:21:01 GMT
Playing the stubborn role at least brought some unification back, which
is a good thing, no matter how much my ego is satisfied with the
resoluzion :)

> What you are accusing Peter and company of doing is not really
> any different than what Cocoon does.  The lookup might change
> from Generator.ROLE, "hint" to Generator.ROLE + "/constraint",
> but the general outcome is the same.  There is *essentially*
> ten different roles if we are being true to what it conceptually
> is.

I've been stating this forever but I repeat: I *know* that what Peter
proposes is functionally equivalent. The problem is that I don't
resonate with the approach choosen.

> To the pipeline, A generator is a generator is a generator.
> To the sitemap, we may have ten different implementations that
> we choose from.  The *sitemap* chooses which of those 10
> generators are used depending on context.  Because it is a
> container in and of itself, it can do so in any way it chooses.
> Effectively each individual Generator performs a different role.
> One pulls info from the filesystem, another pulls it from an
> external site, and yet another will pull it from a database.
> The pipeline doesn't care, but the pipeline doesn't (or shouldn't)
> directly request the generator.  The sitemap sets the generator.
>
> So for real practicality's sake, we either have a distinct
> role for each of the Generators or we have a smart container.
>
> Think of it in terms of the Chorus in a theatrical play.  They
> act as one, but they have their own part to play in the harmony
> or narration of the play.  There might be three distinct people
> on the stage at one time that perform the same general function.
> It is the same with the concept of generators in Cocoon.
>
> Please tell me if I have confused you more than I have clarified
> things.

No, it is clear now and it was clear before, just that I do not perceive

 lookup(role,hint);

and

 lookup(role+"/"+hint);

to be architectrually equivalent since they represent two different
cognitive ways to access to components and we loose completely the
ability to match a role to a java interface.

While using java interfaces for metadata is a limited approach, at least
it allowed stronger typing. The same can be said for 'role = interface'.

Anyway, since it seems like I'm the only one having such vision, I'll
shut up and let you guys do your job.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.