avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints'
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:45:22 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> According to your own analysis there is no distinction except for metadata.

Please, define 'component metadata' before I can answer your question.

> >  block -> an avalon-lifecycle-aware polymorphic object, versionned,
> >fully reentrant, sharable, not directly referentiable
>
> Thats not entirely accurate. There is no constraint that a block be
> reentrant or sharable nor has there ever been. It is left up to developer
> and assembler to decide these things.
>
>  > component -> an avalon-lifecycle-aware polymorphic object, directly
>  >referentiable
>
> Leo (A Cocoon developer) saids a killer feature would be to change cocoon
> to not be directly referentiable.

Stefano (another Cocoon developer) asks how this is possible if the
direct referencing of components is hardcoded into the sitemap
semantics.

> Given the above points do you still think there is a non-academic
> distinction between Components and Blocks?

I will answer this after you define 'component metadata'.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.