avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is Avalon?
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:23:52 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

[a bunch of things]

>>From your words, I get the impression that you consider Cocoon and the
other Cocoon developers (myself included) a problem for the evolution of
Avalon.

You mention JDD with Ant. This won't happen because I feel no ownership
of Avalon, unlike Duncan did for Ant. Avalon is the result of 5 years of
progressive refinement and I just gave few ideas to start it. That's it.

Just like others, I think it's the best and more advanced framework
outthere. Unfortunately, so advanced that few people get it. Hopefully
with books talking about it coming out, more users will approach it.

My complains are not technical, but about the community. You guys were
so obsessed by SoC that you came to its antipattern: FoC (fragmentation
of concerns).

Avalon is a brand and avoiding to dilute the brand is a concern of
*every* subsubproject hosted inside here. You fragmented this concern
all over the place. Result: only the avalon developers know what Avalon
is. The rest of the population sees it as a fragmented and incoherent
mess (ask on james-dev and tomcat-dev about it).

And you say this is Cocoon's fault because we slowed down the evolution
of this project.

I don't see this, but in case you're right, this is a problem so I'm
willing to step sideways and let you lead the way.

So, please, stop complaining about Cocoon littering your perfect garden
tell us what you think Avalon and Cocoon should do (in detail).

TIA

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.