avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is Avalon?
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:31:36 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> At 01:12 AM 6/21/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>
> However I am not part of the cocoon community and there is little I can
> do that will make you realize that violating SOC is bad. I really hope
> Leo implements his ideas soon because I am sure that once he has
> implemented it he will find out how insane it it is to merge the notion
> of resource manager and directory service. I suspect he will also be
> wishing for separation of metainfo sooner rather than later.

You know darn well that we all know that violating SOC is bad. :-PPP

> However while people still insist that mixing concerns is a good thing
> then I doubt there can be just one container.

IMHO it's more because some of us don't see the solution praticable,
while instead it may be.
If we stick to concrete examples and code, I'm sure this discussion will
go far.

When the /hints/ battle started, I thought "Oh no, they want to take
functionality away!".
I was wrong, but I didn't realize that the discussion was not on wether
that functionality would remain, but how it was to be done.

> It would be an absolutely fantastic thing to have one though.

I'm happy you say it, and agree totally.
I *strongly* think we should go in this direction.

>> But how do you make them use Avalon? by giving users functionality!
>>
>> and what is the best functionality if not the ability to reuse prebuilt
>> components and create your own?
>
> This would be fantastic. There are several bits of cocoon already in
> excalibur that I would love to be able to use (monitor, xml stuff,
> sourceresolve stuff) and I know it would be a very very big draw card if
> I could use them un-altered. However I haven't been able to use them
> except by changing them in ways that would break them in context of cocoon.

:-/ Me too.
This reuse-but-not-quite situation *sucks* *big* *time*.

Let's make reuse a reality.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -