avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:10:52 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> At 02:22 PM 6/17/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> > > From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@osm.net]
> > >
> > > Does that make sence?
> > > If not - what are the pieces that are missing?
> >
> >You can not pre-build the map as you say. The mappings change
> >at runtime. Sure, you can recompute the map all the time, but
> >why would Cocoon use Avalon then, if they have to do all the
> >framework stuff themselves?
> >
> >Take my word for it Stephen, we need hints.
> >
> >I *hate* to put it this way, but it is true: A lot of thought
> >has gone into the concept of using hints, Cocoon uses hints
> >*exactly* as they were supposed to be used, and there is no more
> >elegant solution. I can give you the requirements for Cocoon, and
> >you can say "well, but..." and come up with a solution that does not
> >use hints, but that solution will be (a) uglier (b) reduce the
> >usability of Avalon for Cocoon, meaning that Cocoon will not use A5
> >and thus also be (c) utterly worthless in practice, although fine in
> >theory. In short, a waste of our precious time for *both* of us.
> >As Stefano said, mapping a 2d set to a 1d set is always
> >possible, but in this context it is only of academic value.
>
> Hmm ... considering you have described an architecture that solves this
> this sounds like bandstanding. A4 is here to stay then.

I don't get it.

Are you saying that you'd like to throw away the entire A5 concept
because of

 lookup(role,hint)

where we *explicitly* state that the container is safely allowed to
ignore the hint?

Please, tell me why.

In case you answer with 'because we could have N-dimensional lookup
constraints', then I question you just like Leo (LS) did: shouldn't it
become

 lookup(query)

then?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.