avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A5] Parameters Package
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:01:00 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> As we can see assumptions are the anti-pattern of contracts :)

That's the Berin I knew, brother!

So, let's stop assuming and let's take a step back: what do we want
Avalon 5 to be? how do we make it happen with the least amount of
earth-shaking?

I already started with design pattern #0: "let's not kill the patient
while curing the disease".

Then design pattern #1: "APIs must be designed *after* agreeing on their
supposed functionality".

Then design pattern #2: "if ain't broken, don't change it"

Of course, applying #2 means that we need to define the concept of
'broken', otherwise, it doesn't mean anything.

I do share your esthetic concerns of elegance and symmetry during
design, but IMO, Avalon might simply be already too polished for making
some users appreciate the difference. So, for them it was not broken,
but for you it was.

Result: they keep using A4 and A5 dies.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.