avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A5] Logger Package
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:25:35 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I find the logger package to be pretty decent.  However, there are a few
> things
> to consider:
>
> 1) Instead of having many different logging abstractions, what about
> using
>    Commons Logging (ducks and hides)?

+1

One thing is the logger, one thing is giving the logger to the user.
We would still have a IoC method to give the logger to the Component,
while giving in fact a commons-logging thing; then put logkit as an
implementation of commons logging.

On the commons list, Geir has shown great interest in having an
alternative method of getting a logger as Avalon does; if we use
commons-logging directly, he would have a solution easy at hand.

I'm sure that we should concentrate more on interfaces and facades and
leave implementation to others.

So I'm (sayind it again) really +1 for using commons-logging as a Logger.

> 2) If we maintain our own, what about a "TRACE" logging level.  It is
> useful
>    debugging information that is not necessary for all debugging
> excercises.
>    Some bugs are only found by tracing through, so a message when
> entering
>    a method or exiting a method can be helpful.  Esp. if your Java
> debugger
>    is effectively broken (happens more often than I care to mention).

-0 No need here, but anyway if we use commons loogging... ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -