avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:32:34 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

> At 10:21 AM 6/10/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> - proposal for component management in avalon 5:
>> 1) removal of ComponentSelector
>> 2) removal of release()
>> 3) replacement of Component with Object
>

> +1s
>

>> 4) replacement of ComponentException with exists() for lookup()
>> 5) addition of an _optional_ lookup() method that supports hints, to
>> enable smooth migration from ComponentSelector usage
>

> -1s

 From a pure framework perspective I'm totally in agreement with the
above (irrespective of the pain and suffering I'm enduring with respect
to the metainfo/metadata issues inflicted by an unmentionable
"Australia" personality).  However, if we take into account ECM and the
interest in facilitating a smooth migration path, I see only two
alternative; either we provide a lookup( role, hint) in the framework
(which I dislike in terms of the curent form being dicusssed), or (b) an
extended CM is defintion at the excalibur level that provide a bridge
from ECM to the emerging container models.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL