avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: ComponentInfo navigation
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 02:07:23 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>>> god no. Descriptors are immutable and they should stay that way.
>>

>> [Steve is in his office saying really nasty things about Pete @#!%& ]
>

> Excellent - thats three people going @#!%& due to Pete and it is only
> 12:01 - not even lunch time yet ;)

In at least two languages!

>> In the meantime - the metadata/ComponentMetaData contains a name and
>> an array of dependency metadata instances.  The javadoc for the
>> m_name state member is a little unclear.  I'm assuming that m_name
>> corresponds to a unique key within an application scope that can be
>> referenced by the m_name member in the DependencyMetaData class.
>>
>> Or to put it more simply - m_name in DependencyMetaData is the name
>> of a ComponentMetaData instance.  Is that correct?
>

> Yep. It may not name an instance though. (ie Each ComponentMetaData
> could refer to a pool of components).

But it is an instance of ComponentMetaData, which is not an instance of
component - and all instance of ComponentMetaData have unique names
within the scope of an execution context (where execution context in
Phoenix is an application and execution context in Merlin is the set of
declared jar files).  I think some javadoc updating is in order.

Cheers, Steve.

> Cheers,
>
> Peter Donald
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind,
> and proving that there is no need to do so - almost
> everyone gets busy on the proof."
>              - John Kenneth Galbraith
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Stephen J. McConnell