avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Avalon 5.0 directory
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 03:54:39 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>Version 5 should include the following:
>
>* Clean room implementation--no deprecated methods/classes

+1

>* Unified CM/SM (i.e. the interface above)

+1 on retraction of remove()
Not convinced on the topic concerning changes to the exception model.

>* Simplified package name
>   - org.apache.avalon.**** ?
>   - org.apache.framework.**** ?

+1 on a different package name to prevent collisions with 4.9.

>* Container abstraction
>   - Meta data info

+1 on meta-data info in framework.
Somewhere between 0 and -1 on formalization of container in framework
(more discussion on that is needed).  My own view is that a container is
implementation and I don't see a requirement for anything structural at
the framework level - as distinct for convinience tools, utilities and
default implementations in Excalibur.

>   - Possible interface to have DefaultComponentManager defer all
>     lookups to the Container

Don't like the sound of this bacause it will force the introduction of a
container defintion into the framework and I don't thing that's a good
thing to be doing.

>* Standard for Version info,

+1 assuming we are talking about for formal usage and association of the
org.apache.avalon.framework.Version class with a component.

>and how we plan on handling that.

on another thread.

>How does this sound to everyone?

So far so good.