avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: ContainerManager and Sub-containers
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:28:20 GMT

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>>
>>Lets see - I can think of two reasons ;)
>>

>One reason will be enough - as long as it has to do with scalability,
>which was what you claimed was the problem. ;)
>
>Your first reason is a design decision - does a component manager
>manage resources, or is it a directory lookup? I go for the former,
>you go for the latter. The nice thing about Avalon, IMO, is that it
>isn't just a naming lookup - I have JNDI for that.

I look at the resulting divergence - you have the "release" operation
which is only applicable in the case of pooled resources and yet the
semantics of a pool are undefined at that level or abstraction.  The
default implementation of release in CM and SM are empty - perhaps this
suggests something - its an operation that is inconsitent with the
abstraction supported by CM/SM.  Would it not be more appropriate for
"release" to be moved up to another interface where the concepts of a
pool is defined?

But we've had this discussion before ;-).

Cheers, Steve,

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL