avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: organisation of avalon subprojects
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:04:33 GMT
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:23, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> But I'll present my case anyway.
...snip...

As you point out - it is a Merlin specific issue - no other containers have
this "need". As I said before it is quite easy to create a
MerlinComponentMetaData if you want.

> >>5. DependecyMap is driving me crazy!
> >
> >I don't think you will find anyone who sympathizes with you here. Circular
> >dependencies are evil and should not be used ;)
>
> My test case does not have circular dependecies - this is a case of
> documentation - the way I am using it probably wrong. I'm getting some
> rather bizzar startup and shutdown sequences for a set of components
> (application validated)

The Dependency graph is a Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG). Startup does a
preorder traversal of graph. Shutdown does an inorder traversal of graph (or
at least something equivelent to inorder).

ie

A +--> B --> C

  +--> D

Startup Order: C, B, D, A
Shutdown Order: A, B, C, D

For each component a graph is formed and the components that still need to be
processed are added to list else they are skipped (as already done.

It gets slightly more interesting when you have shared sub-graphs. But the
above gives basic idea.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald