avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Packaging dependencies
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:36:19 GMT
On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:53:36AM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur Component X depends
> upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options include;
> 1. dont distribute Y
> 2. distribute Y in separate file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar)
> 3. distribute multiple version of X, one raw version and one -all version
> (ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
> 4. (2) and (3)
>
> (4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are small and that
> gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?

Sounds good. The depchecker can automatically record which jars are used
to build a project. Now if you type:

ant -Djarlist=jars.list

a text file, jars.list will be created, containing a list of paths to
jars the depchecker encountered during dependency checking. Likewise:

ant -Djardir=/tmp/jars

will copy all required jars into /tmp/jars

Caveats:
 - only works if doing a clean build of Excalibur, as otherwise the
   depchecker doesn't examine dependencies of already-built projects.
 - the jarlist file is infinitely appended to, so needs to be manually
   deleted between runs.

I've tried to make a more automated system, but Ant's scoping and
property passing rules are just horrible.

--Jeff