avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (recap) New name for Version 5 ComponentManager
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:26:27 GMT
On Thursday 13 June 2002 17:09, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> So far here are the votes:
>
> 3 ComponentDirectory
> 4 ComponentLocator/ServiceLocator
> 1 ComponentLookup (writein from Nicola Ken Barrozi)
> 1 ComponentResolver (writein from Marcus Crafter)
>
> Breakdown even further:
>
> ComponentDirectory
> ------------------
> Marcus Crafter
> Berin Loritsch
> Leo Simmons
>
> XXXXLocator
> -----------
> Leo Sutic
> Gonzalo A. Diethelm
> Stephen McConnel
> Stephen Haberman
>

> Now I realize that at least one or two of these is not
> a committer, but since they are users/potential users
> their oppinions should be used to come to a decision.
>
> After I read Leo's link to the J2EE patterns page, I
> really like the idea of "ServiceLocator" as the name.
>
> I like the quote from Stephen Haberman:
>
> "I agree; I'm very new to Avalon, but given my naïve
>  impression of what the component is supposed to do,
>  I like XXXLocator better also. As a newbie, I can
>  understand the concept quicker than with the
>  XXXDirectory."
>
> Between Leo's page and Stephen's quote, I would like
> to change my vote (yes I can be swayed :) ) to
> "ServiceLocator"
>
> That would make (on official voting):
>
> ServiceLocator (XXXXLocator): 3 (Me, Leo Sutic, Stephen McConnel)
> ComponentDirectory: 2 (Leo Simmons, MarcusCrafter)
>
> And the two write-ins.

add another write-in from a non-committer:

I also prefer "resolver" over "locator" in respect of the "SourceResolver".
And I also think it's pretty straight forward that a

Component(Resolver/Locator) returns a Component

while a

Service(Resolver/Locator) returns a Service (whether a Service is a Component
or not)

my 2 cents from Avalon user-land ;-)
--
Torsten