avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: InformixDataSource and pooled connections ?
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:30:02 GMT
Hi All,

	I've played around with the InformixDataSource class a little bit
	more. It does seem that only non-pooled connections are returned
	by InformixDataSource.getConnection() by default.

	I'd like to change this so that pooled connections are returned by
	default (thoughts ??)

	Initially I thought I could configure this to be so, only if the
	<pool-controller.../> parameter was specified. Unfortunately this
	contradicts with how the JdbcDataSource class works (a pool is created
	of size	min 1, max 3 when <pool-controller.../> is not specified), so
	I guess this behaviour is probably not the best way forward.

	The change would mean that pooled connections are returned by
	default, when a caller executes InformixDataSource.getConnection().

	Does this sound ok to everyone ? or would you prefer a new class
	InformixPooledDataSource for example ? or some other solution ? :)

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 02:03:55PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Hope all is well.
>
> 	Just wondering if anyone out there is using the InformixDataSource
> 	class which is a part of the datasource package, in a pooled
> 	environment ?
>
> 	I've introduced the code into our project a few weeks back, but
> 	from my understanding of the code, it doesn't actually return
> 	connections from any informix pools, but creates new connections
> 	each time InformixDataSource.getConnection() is called ?
>
> 	In InformixDataSource.configure() it sets up 2 entries in the
> 	context, a m_dataSource, and a pooledDataSource, but only the
> 	m_dataSource is used in other parts of the class. In fact, after
> 	configure() all references to the pooled part are lost ?
>
> 	Was the intention there to create a InformixPooledDataSource class
> 	as a subclass ? or have I missed something there ?
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Marcus
>
> --
>      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
>     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
>     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
>      $       o_)$$$:   82-84 Mainzer Landstrasse
>      ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
>        '     /( &&&
>            \_&&&&'
>           &&&&.
>     &&&&&&&:
>
> --

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: