avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ContainerManager and Sub-containers
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 10:29:40 GMT
On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:38, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > Depending on specific ThreadPool inside ThreadManager,
> > SocketFactory inside
> > SocketManager
>
> Hmm. Just guessing, but a role -> role + hint mapping could do it.
> Let SocketFactory implement ComponentSelector and lookup
> SocketFactory.ROLE.
> This gets mapped to a lookup (SocketManager.ROLE) and a select (hint).
>
> I think the key is to have the second lookup (to find the component B
> that is contained in C) standardized via a interface.

Personally I think the exact opposite ;)

I HATE the ComponentSelector interface and think it is a huge mistake to use
it. If the ComponentSelector is simply access to a category of avalon
components then I can't see why you can't depend on/lookup a component
directly.

ie Consider case where you look up selector with SocketManager.ROLE then look
up SocketFactory component using "ssl" hint. Why could you not instead lookup
the ssl factory directly via SocketFactory.ROLE + "/ssl".

Much easier to do dependency checking, much easier for component implementer
and gives the assembler much more choice in assembling the system.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald