avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject [summary] Re: organisation of avalon subprojects
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:41:33 GMT
basically, most people sort-of agree on what the perfect world would
look like, with some interesting comments from the Petes about basically
more simplification.

Several issues where raised that mean we will not be able to live in the
perfect world.

- jakarta politics. Some stuff won't be top-level even if it perhaps
should be (ie logkit).

- internal politics. Well, it wasn't raised as such, but there's some of
them anyway.

- committer<->code coupling. Some stuff we might want to drop would mean
throwing (part of) the committer out of the window as well

- code is not perfect. While we would like one std impl, SoC is not
perfect (though improving) se we will have some duplication.

It was also mentioned that the organisation problem is probably more
related to the documentation/website setup than to the CVS setup.

Then people started talking about container implementations 'n stuff and
the original thread died.

Some of the stuff commented upon (like "drop testlet!") will be brought
up again in new threads to vote upon.

- Leo