avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject organisation of avalon subprojects
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 13:48:01 GMT
all,

we have had the discussions of how to organize the avalon code before,
and it came up again in recent discussions. The important thing
mentioned recently was some input by newbies -- they find the
organisation pretty difficult to understand.

looking at the parts of which avalon consists, and not looking at their
current names, I'd say it *should* be possible to split avalon into the
same basic parts you find in most software:

1 - specification
2 - implementation
3 - extension specification(s)
4 - extension implementation(s)
5 - utility
6 - non-normative documentation
7 - external
8 - examples
9 - client software
10 - sandbox

roughly, the current subprojects fit as follows:

framework   == 1 + part of 2 + 6 + 7 + part of 10
excalibur   == part of 2 + part of 3 + part of 4 + part of 5* +
               part of 10
logkit      == part of 5
phoenix     == part of 2 + part of 3 + part of 4
cornerstone == part of 3 + part of 4
apps        == 8 + 9

(* -> largely moving to jakarta-commons)

where a better subproject organisation would be something like the
following:

framework == 1
excalibur == 2
container == 3(a), 3(b)
fortress  == 4(a)
phoenix   == 4(a), 4(b)
utility   == 5 + 7
site      == 6
apps      == 8 + 9
sandbox   == 10

with the explicit goal to have next to nothing in "utility" (as that
stuff is usually of more general use). That would also make it a goal to
move logkit out into a separate place.

I'm not saying this is what we should do (just throwing the current
organisation completely overboard would be somewhat stupid; and then
there's jakarta politics), would just like to hear from y'all whether we
are somewhat in agreement of where we would like to be in a perfect
world.

I'm also not saying this organisation should also dictate CVS setup
(though I do think it should, I'd like to keep that a separate
discussion).

That makes it easier to figure out what to do in an imperfect world.

grz,

- Leo