avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is Avalon?
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:43:22 GMT
> > >Will we be forced to move to a new version if
> > >Cocoon moves on? Could very well be. What about having different
> > >versions of avalon-framework.jar in one VM?
> >
> > They will be in different packages so it will be possible to have both A4
> > and A5 in same JVM with zero hassles.
>
> Tell me more about this because I missed this decision. I assumed that
> A5 was an evolution of A4 not a complete and total rewrite, thus that
> the packages would remain consistent.
>
> Did I assume the wrong thing?

no, but using a different namespace means we don't have classloader
problems.

ie

use avalon 4 framework:
	import org.apache.avalon.framework.activity.*;
	import org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.*;
	// ...
use avalon 5 framework:
	import org.apache.<bla>.activity.*;
	import org.apache.<bla>.configuration.*;
	// ...

use both:
	import org.apache.avalon.framework.activity.*;
	import org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.*;
	import org.apache.<bla>.activity.*;
	import org.apache.<bla>.configuration.*;
	// ...

- LSD