avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject avalon is not a risk dependency
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 09:01:30 GMT
all,

recent, rather heated discussion regarding the future of avalon between
its developers have raised concerns with some users of the current
avalon regarding its stability and usability.

let's clear this up.

Avalon is one of the best frameworks for general and server-side
software development available. It's developers think it is *the* best
one, certainly for the java language. As such, it is in daily use in
several other open source projects, as well as closed source onces.

Uses of avalon range from desktop management software to full-blown
CORBA EAI solutions, and in between there's everything from web
publishing frameworks to mail servers, CRM solutions and advanced gaming
engines.

In all these projects, using avalon has turned out to be a good and
addictive choice.

The avalon developers recognize their responsibilities toward these
projects and the need to have a stable, consistent, backwards compatible
API to program to. This will not change.

Partly because of the extremely long incubation period avalon and its
various components have enjoyed, the very first avalon pieces to be
declared of "final release" quality, avalon framework and excalibur 4.0,
have seen only minimal outwardly visible changes since that release.

We will strive to keep such changes minimal in all future avalon
releases. Where we do feel that outwardly visible changes are necessary,
we will identify why these changes are needed, what their benefits are,
how it affects your software, and what would be a good migration path.
We will also make sure to provide backwards-compatibility.

I hope this message takes away a lot of unnecessary uncertainty and
doubt.

best regards,

- Leo Simons