avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The need for 'hints'
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:32:06 GMT
> > Let me rephrase the question to "what do I gain from the seperation of
> > concerns of assembly for application context" and the answer to that is
> > portability of components across containers.
>
> Bingo, I think we touched the nerve: all Cocoon components where forced
> to be Avalon components, even those who cannot (nor should not) be
> portable across containers.
>
> That's admittedly a design mistake. We have been abusing Avalon since we
> used it too much, even where it would have made more sense to do our own
> stuff.

it probably makes a lot of sense (as Steve's pointing out in another
thread) to have these inherently non-portable components inside an
avalon-style container still, maybe extending something like fortress to
add support for stuff like this.

I dunno cocoon, so I can't say.

> I call for a restate of the Avalon's project charter!

???

> Ok, it's clear now: Cocoon should NOT be using Avalon 5 for those
> components which lookup mechanism's control cannot be completely
> inverted.
>
> Anybody against this?

Just the notion "Avalon 5". Should perhaps not be using *the proposed
standard Avalon 5 ComponentManager/Locator interface* for those
components.

cheers,

- LSD