avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:00:26 GMT
On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 14:22, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@osm.net]
> >
> > Does that make sence?
> > If not - what are the pieces that are missing?
>
> You can not pre-build the map as you say. The mappings change
> at runtime. Sure, you can recompute the map all the time, but
> why would Cocoon use Avalon then, if they have to do all the
> framework stuff themselves?

how about having a service kernel (like Steve proposes), that recomputes
the map, at runtime? Basically, you move the complex mapping into
container space, so component manager (and thus composable) space has
only simple mapping.

something like:

Component
  ^
  | uses <--- define during ComponentManager.lookup(role)
  |						|
Composable					| lookup(composable,
DynamicDependencyMap			<--------
	^

	| configure

   ContainerKernel
	^
	| configure

 DynamicDependencyMapManagementAdaptor
	^

whatever modifies sitemap

ComponentManager ==> DefaultComponentManager
ContainerKernel ==> SomeSmartContainer

why is this a bad/impossible idea?

> Take my word for it Stephen, we need hints.
>
> I *hate* to put it this way, but it is true: A lot of thought
> has gone into the concept of using hints, Cocoon uses hints
> *exactly* as they were supposed to be used, and there is no more
> elegant solution. I can give you the requirements for Cocoon, and
> you can say "well, but..." and come up with a solution that does not
> use hints, but that solution will be (a) uglier (b) reduce the
> usability of Avalon for Cocoon, meaning that Cocoon will not use A5
> and thus also be (c) utterly worthless in practice, although fine in
> theory. In short, a waste of our precious time for *both* of us.
> As Stefano said, mapping a 2d set to a 1d set is always
> possible, but in this context it is only of academic value.

even so, could be quite a bit of academic value =)

regards,

- Leo Simons