avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A5] Parameters Package
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:57:29 GMT
> Question: what is the difference supposed to be between Parameters and
> Configurations?

Configuration is hierarchical, parameters is a simple string-based map
that can contain only strings. I basically added the parameters stuff
because it easier to use.

> Last time I was subscribed to this list, we had configurations and they
> were immutable.
>
> So, my wild guess would be that you needed something mutable and added
> parameters.

nope. Anything passed to a component during initialization should be
immutable. A component cannot modify its own parameters, context,
configuration. That's subversion of control.

> But then, this is overlapping with a Context.
>
> I have the impression that before trying to patch such abstract API we
> should agree on *WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO FOR YOU*.
>
> Do I make any sense?

your thoughts are valid, but I think we already know what parameters is:
1-d string based lookup of strings, which is very convenient and simple.

- Leo