avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] New name for Version 5 ComponentManager
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:38:15 GMT
On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 18:14, Fredrik Hultin wrote:
> I have a question as a newbie user of Avalon.
> Even though ComponentManager maybe is not the *perfect* name for what
> you want to achieve it is still used by all users of the Avalon
> framework isn't it? So why not keep the name so old users doesn't have
> to relearn or read the developer lists to understand what has happened
> to the ComponentManager.

valid point.

The reason we want to change it is because there is a lot of confusion
among both users and developers (hence the recent discussions) what it
does.

The alternative would be to state, very clearly "this is a misnamed
interface, all it really does is provide a lightweight lookup
mechanism".

Two bads to weigh against one another.

> As documentation doesn't seem to be you're main
> interest

uhh...we've tried really hard to produce good docs on avalon
framework...we just find it very difficult.

- Leo