avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Avalon FAQ
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:47:32 GMT
I think we need one. Especially when you consider the size of the
website -- not exactly easy to find the answer to your question quickly.

thinking about this, I figured we could start with putting a textfile in
jakarta-avalon-apps where we reference e-mails where a question is
answered.

There's a thread on the mailing list that answers the question "So how
do all the containers relate?", so that question is added to the FAQ,
along with a link to an online mailing list archive linking to the
thread.

Once docs are updated to contain this information, we can change the
link in the FAQ to point to the relevant part of the docs.

Very simple to maintain, so we might just manage to do so.

thoughts?

- Leo Simons

sample file:

where you can find more information.

SECTIONS
--------
1) general
2) framework
3) excalibur
4) logkit
5) phoenix
6) cornerstone
7) avalon applications

--------------------
1. GENERAL QUESTIONS
--------------------
General Q&As related to avalon as a whole.

Questions
---------
- How do I find answers to my questions?
- How can I help?
- How should I submit patches?
- What is Avalon?
- Where can I get it?
- Where is it used?

How do I find answers to my questions?
avalon-user and ask your question there.

see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/FAQ.txt - current version of this file
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/ - the avalon website
http://jakarta.apache.org/ - the jakarta website
mailing list archives -
http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org/,
http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org/,
http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org/

How can I help?

What is Avalon?
---------------
A common framework for server-related software.
see: http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon

Where can I get it?
-------------------
You can get release builds from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/

And the current development sources from cvs, using these commands:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login
(enter password: anoncvs)

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout \
jakarta-avalon jakarta-avalon-excalibur jakarta-avalon-logkit \
jakarta-avalon-phoenix jakarta-avalon-cornerstone jakarta-avalon-site

see: http://jakarta.apache.org/builds, http://jakarta.apache.org/site/

Where is it used?
-----------------
In several open source projects here at apache and elsewhere, and in
several closed-source projects as well.
see: http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/apps/appselsewhere.html

------------
2. Framework
------------
Q&As for the avalon framework subproject.

Questions
---------
- What is Avalon Framework?

What is Avalon Framework?

3. Excalibur
Q&As for the avalon excalibur subproject.

Questions
---------
- What is Avalon Excalibur?

What is Avalon Excalibur?